Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Derwin........after following three wheeler "concepts" for over three years I grow impatient. You have a great new toy in your Piaggio. Open trikes or scooters don't have the safety factor I require......although look like a hoot to ride. I'm simply trying to determine whether Elio Motors is credible and genuine with their statements of getting an enclosed three wheeler to market at that price point. I was hoping other members would be able to scope out additional info which hasn't been the case. Perhaps there isn't much interest in this vehicle from a 2F1R design standpoint. Elio's background info makes him appear to be a contender in "popping out his baby". I don't mind the wait if the anticipation is for a vehicle that is actually going to be produced. It otherwise becomes less fun and more frustrating and I'm currently on the edge of wondering if it will ever happen.

Hey, I'm with you, rick! And I think everybody in this club is behind your sentiments as well. I was just trying to point out that there's really no reason to get anymore excited about the Elio than there is to get excited about the Persu Hybrid. Both companies have invested money and a great deal of effort into getting legislation passed which will benefit them when they (hopefully) get a vehicle on the road.

I am hoping ANY one of these companies succeeds. It just means more choices for us in the long run. But, as you may be able to tell, I am a huge Persu supporter, and hope they get their vehicle into production as soon as possible.

Derwin
    “Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
    -Doc Emmet Brown--Back to the future

Elio's Chip Stempeck's reply to my questions:

We are moving as fast as we can to make sure that you can have years and years of enjoyment out of your Elio motors vehicle. The design is what I would term functionally complete. There may be a couple of changes depending on manufacturing process needs and a couple of items that need to be run through focus groups, but for the most part it is final. As far as speed and acceleration, you know that there is a trade-off between mileage and power usually. If you want to idle around the road you’ll get much better mileage than if you drive like me (I like to feel the vehicle). Our vehicle will have the ability to go 0-60 in less than ten seconds (can’t get too detailed) and will be able to comfortably perform at any highway speed in the US. Plus over 70 mpg highway. We are planning on having the vehicle available in early to mid 2011. It all depends on how quickly we can get the next funding round.

The next funding round seems to be the brick wall to production. Wireman is right on the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-27-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Chip's response to my skepticism about having the Elio available by 2011:

Excellent summary of the process, sounds like you may have experienced it yourself a couple of times. We are working on all the things you noted in your email, plus a couple of thousand more, and have made headway on most. The reality is that if a start-up company doesn’t get funded, it doesn’t go. We are all too aware of that and are trying to manage the flow of information to the consumer until we get closer. That is one of the reasons we did such a slow roll on the website. We want to avoid the messes that some of our competitors have created by coming out too early, without a price, and then being late before ever delivering a vehicle. We have a plan, of which all of our suppliers have signed off on, to be in production in record time.Keep the faith, I know I will, and I’ll keep you posted.Chip Stempeck

Sound good, rick!

Please tell Chip about our site, and maybe he would like to join us and give us updates on their progress.

Pretty much all of what he has said was also said by Ian and the people at Persu. I am hoping that BOTH companies, as well as many others, get the funding that they need to finally produce these vehicles. I know we all share this desire.

Derwin

Why the excitement? Thought that this site was about leaning vehicles. Is the Elio one?

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Why the excitement? Thought that this site was about leaning vehicles. Is the Elio one?
    I'm the only FTRC member excited about Elio a 2F1R three wheeler that is likely to hit the market sooner than later at an affordable $7500 price point. Overall good design, 70-75 mpg, 5 star safety, narrow 2 seater, eco-friendly, adequate power, adaptable to hybrid and all electric versions when affordable to the masses, customizable, and fun to drive during the long wait for a leaning vehicle to get to market if ever. What's not to like? If they could offer a tilting version............ that would be icing on the cake. They are even communicating with their customer base which is why I'm on their to buy list.

There has been discussion about alternative non-leaning vehicles in the past.

You make a very good point, voyager.

This club consists of people interested in a variety of things, though. We all initially gathered around the idea of the Persu Hybrid 3-wheeled tilting vehicle. I absolutely LOVE the concept, and wanted a place where we can talk about all of these types of vehicles that may be coming out. But then the club seemed to move towards vehicles that were "eco-friendly", and many members were ONLY interested in these aspects of vehicles, whether they had three wheels or four. Then it seems the club moved towards talking about any new vehicles at all that may be coming on the market.

But, yes, this club was started primarily for talking about tilting vehicles because we want to experience the "FlyTheRoad" sensation of tilting.

As with most things (my waistline included!), this club has expanded it's initial reason for being here. We no longer just talk about the Persu Hybrid, or even tilting vehicles. We're here to talk about ANY and ALL new vehicles that may be of interest to members.

But, hey, I'm still waiting for the first tilting three wheeler to hit the market!

Derwin

I understand, Derwin. If you go to the Elio website you only get to see a three-wheeler from the side. It's design (and engineering) that's drawing investors and customers. In that respect all newcomers could learn from Tesla and Fisker. The last one even bought an old Pontiac plant from GM to start building their sedans. I learned a great deal over the last year how the industry is working... and not working.

I understand, Derwin. If you go to the Elio website you only get to see a three-wheeler from the side.
    Quite frankly, I'm not impressed at all with the Elio. The body design (in my opinion) is terrible. But I could dismiss this aspect IF it was a leaning vehicle, but it's not. So, for me at least, if they had the vehicle on the market next week ready for consumers to buy, I would NOT buy one. But, hey, that's just personal preference, and I understand completely how others may really like the design of the Elio. That's why there's so many different vehicles on the market, right?

But, yeah, to me they have to work on the body design before I would even be slightly interested. And when it is all said and done, I would much prefer a tilting vehicle so that I can FLY THE ROAD!

Derwin

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information