The "lean Machine"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "lean Machine"

Hello! I need the help of the flytheroad club community.

My brother, William, was telling me today that a vehicle called "The Lean Machine" was being displayed at the Epcot Center at Disney World in Florida. He said he seen this around 10 years ago. He further stated that the "Lean Machine" looked VERY similar to Venture Vehicle's project.

I have NO information about this, and I can't find anything about this on the internet. Does my brother have a faulty memory, or did Disney actually display this type of vehicle around 10 years ago?

If ANY MEMBERS have ANY information about this at all, please post it to this thread.

Thanks for your help.

Derwin
    Where we're going we don't need roads.
    -Doc Emmet Brown--Back to the future

General Motors

http://www.3wheelers.com/gmlean.html

The GM Lean Machine was developed by Frank Winchell of General Motors (USA) in the early 1980's as a concept car. The single seater vehicle is a "lean" machine in the true sense of the word as it leans into corners like a motorcycle whilst keeping the stability of a normal car. The original model was powered by a 15 hp 2-cylinder engine that produced a maximum speed of 80 mph with a fuel economy of 80 mpg at 40 mph. Shortly afterwards a second model was produced that was powered by a larger 38 hp engine. With a total body weight of 159kg this gave the vehicle outstanding performance and the Lean Machine was able to reach 60 mph in just 6.8 seconds with a fuel economy of over 200 mpg.
    For the futuristic 1993 movie "Demolition Man" starring Sylvestor Stalone and Wesley Snipes the GM Lean Machine was one of seventeen concept cars produced by General Motors to be featured in the film with an insurance value of $69 million.
    Another 3-wheeled concept car by GM is the "Runabout". The vehicle had a front wheel that could turn 180 degrees to allow parking in the tightest of spots and the rear end of the car contained two detachable shopping trolleys with wheels that would fold away when the trolley was parked in the vehicle. The Runabout had space for 2 adults in the front and 3 children in the rear. The vehicle was first presented at the General Motors Futurama Exhibit in 1964 at the New York World's Fair.
    Following on from the Runabout, a similar vehicle was created in 1969. The XP 511 Commuter car was designed for short urban journeys.

The GM Lean Machine.

The 1964 GM Runabout. (My thanks to Kerry Croxton for sending in this picture from the Encyclopedia of Dream Cars by Chris Rees)

The 1969 GM XP 511 Commuter Car.

Instantiations of the Dream:
    TTW - Tilting Three Wheelers
    GM Lean Machine
    Last edited by AZEqualizer; 12-19-2007, 08:06 PM.

Comment

AZE,

Thanks for the information. I guess I owe my brother a good cigar for remembering this from his visit at Disney World.

My question would be....If they had this technology way back then, why didn't anybody run with this idea and implement it in the form of a production vehicle? Also, are there any other detailed photos and specs anywhere?

Derwin

Comment

GREED - Not enough profit.... to High of a risk... to far out of the box.
        http://www.commutercars.com/download...chineStudy.pdf

Comment

Epcot vehicle on display

I went to Epcot in 1987 and saw a vehicle very much like the Persu Hybrid i.e. using the rotating pod with 2 wheels in the back, including a video of one working. I am wondering if anyone knows what vehicle that was, and if any of the stabilizing work that went into that vehicle is a being used in the Persu vehicle .
          Last edited by jimr17; 07-24-2009, 09:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Talking about this one?

Could GM Be Saved by The Lean Machine?
            http://www.epcotblog.com/2009/06/01/...-lean-machine/

Comment

jeremymc7.........that is an interesting find. It looks like the love child of a Persu Hybrid and a MonoTracer. Maybe GM will get a second chance at this technology if they are the Big One partnering with Persu Mobility. The info said 80mpg back in 1980...WOW. It was probably a no interest, no sale concept to the general car buying public.

Comment

We posted about the Lean Machine back in December of 2007. It's one of the first things we talked about at the club!

http://flytheroadclub.com/forums/sho...t=lean+machine

A very interesting vehicle indeed. Especially considering they had this way back in the 1980's!

Derwin

Comment

Actually, I'm moving these posts over to that Lean Machine thread created in 2007.

Derwin

Comment

That's It!

Thanks - that is exactly the one I saw at Epcot

I wonder where GM would be if they had been more forward thinking and actually produced this vehicle???

FYI - although I am a noob I did search for Epcot since I couldn't remember the name of the vehicle - thx for all the detail eveyone.
                    Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
                    Talking about this one?

Could GM Be Saved by The Lean Machine?
                    http://www.epcotblog.com/2009/06/01/...-lean-machine/

Comment

Moved Lean Machine Study

FYI, this study has been moved to this url:
                      http://www.commutercars.com/download...chineStudy.pdf
                      Originally posted by AZEqualizer View Post
                      GREED - Not enough profit.... to High of a risk... to far out of the box.
                      [removed URL]

Comment

I should have known you had discussion about the Lean Machine. That's why this is my favorite site..........every concept vehicle known to mankind gets discussed here sooner or later.

GM spent $69 Million (apparent insured value) on a concept that got 80-200 mpg in the 1980's and bury it for whatever the reason.................no wonder they are a bankrupt public company today.

Comment

One of my wife's day-care kids just saw this and said to me that the people who run the car companies are not very smart for not making that car. She's only seven and has more smarts then the people that ruined GM.

Comment

Working...
                          X